Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The Dynaco ST35 for altec horns

  1. #1
    Inactive Member dan fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 15th, 2004
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was wondering if anyone was familair with the The Dynaco ST35 . I run a tri -amp sytem and was thinking of running my altec horns with a tube amp...there is a kit on the net http://www.tubes4hifi.com/st35.htm
    they are asking $399.. any feedback would be appreciated.. and any other suggestion on different tube amps would also be appreciated

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I have bi amped using a ST35 like tube amp for my Altec horns and a MOSFET amp for the bass. The sound was very good and the 15 watts was enough power for normal to loud listening.

    I went back to my second MOSFET amp for the horns when one tube went out. I really can't say that I could tell any significant difference between the two. The tube amp may have been a bit smoother sounding but it is hard for me to say given that my hearing in the upper ranges is quite diminished.

    Regards,

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dennis gilliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 16th, 2002
    Posts
    63
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    At one time, I had a monster tape-playback system with 15 of them in it. A few of them went away when it was pulled from service, and I still have two ST35's use in various applications. They sound like most good tube amps of the time, and Dave Hafler's design was intelligent with the Williamson output. I would not hesitate to use them, or even the newer reproductions. Anything close to 15-Watts into an Altec horn will send your ears bleeding, so the power level is plenty.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member dan fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 15th, 2004
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks guys for the feedback...I know 15 watts is more than suffice to run altec horns... I have a cheap Samson amp running them now and when the 2 watt light starts to blink its time to run

  5. #5
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use a pair of Quad II monoblocks into my 802's & I am very happy with the sound,much smoother than when I used passive crossovers.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member dan fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 15th, 2004
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    boltupright, can U tell me more about the Quad II monoblocks ? price.. where they could be purchased. THD ? powerer rating rms???

  7. #7
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Dan;

    The Quad II's I'm using are from late 50's,they use a pair of KT66 power tubes with a GZ34 rectifier & a pair of EF86 for the driver stage.
    They produce aprox.18 watts & are dead quiet as far as any noise.
    They sound great driving the 802's
    I'm biamping & using a mosfet power amp for the 416-8B crossing over at 500 with a 12db octive slope. I don't have the specs but you could find them easily on the net.

    Regards, Roy Boltz

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.